1. Inform Master. Sound alarm
2. Bilge pumps to be activated and put into use
3. Investigate the cause of leakage (from the adjacent ballast tank or elsewhere). Monitor soundings of the adjacent ballast tanks.
4. Sound all bilges
5. Check for cargo damage (if the cargo is of perishable nature) ascertain damage and inform the owners and charters
6. Check hatch cover condition. Repair if damaged
7. Collect evidence. Perform due diligence and make log entry
8. Repair damages if feasible, else deviate towards port of refuge and seek shore assistance