While taking over/keeping an Anchor watch, the OOW shall comply with the procedures laid down by the company's SMS through means of a checklist. Such checklist may contain following -
1. maintain an effective lookout, by all available means, including visual, audible and radar.
2. check the position at regular intervals to ensure that the ship is not ‘dragging her anchor’
3. Position monitoring by primary and secondary position fixing methods, i.e. checking Visual Anchor Bearings, Radar Range and Bearings, Global Positioning System (GPS) etc.
4. Monitor the state of visibility, the state of the weather, especially wind and tide changes
5. Traffic movement in and out of the anchorage
6. Listening watch on VHF
7. Log books to be maintained
8. Access to the ship to be monitored and ISPS to be complied with