Steering Gear testing is required by the SOLAS regulation 26 Chapter V. Within 12 hours prior departure, Steering gear to be checked by ship’s crew
Following shall be tested-
1. The main steering gear.
2. The auxiliary steering gear.
3. Remote steering gear control stations.
4. Steering position located on Navigation Bridge.
5. Emergency power supply operation
6. Rudder angle indicator in relation to the actual position of the rudder.
7. Power failure alarms.
8. Automatic isolating arrangements and automatic equipments.
9. Full movement of rudder from hard over to hard over under required time
10. Visual inspection of steering gear.
11. Means of communication between bridge and ECR.
12. Block diagram for steering gear system to be displayed.
13. Officers/crew to be familiar with change over procedures.
14. Emergency drills to be carried out at least every 3 months
15. Date and time of tests/checks/drills to be recorded and logged down.