Advantages of plate type cooler -
1. Simple and compact in size.
2. Heat transfer efficiency is more.
3. Can be easily dismantled for cleaning.
4. No extra space is required for dismantling.
5. Capacity can be increased by introducing plates in pairs.
6. Leaking plates can be removed in pairs, if necessary without replacement.
7. Maintenance – cleaning is easier as surface is visible.
8. Turbulent flow helps to reduce deposits which would interfere with heat transfer.
Disadvantages of plate type cooler -
1. Initial cost is high since Titanium plates are expensive.
2. Finding leakage is difficult since pressure test is not as easy as tube coolers.
3. Bonding material between plates limits operating temperature of the cooler.
4. Pressure drop caused by plate cooler is higher than tube cooler.
5. Careful dismantling and assembling to be done.
6. Over tightening of the clamping bolts result in increased pressure drop across the cooler.
7. Joints may be deteriorated according to the operating conditions.
8. Since Titanium is a noble metal, other parts of the cooling system are prone to corrosion