Advantages of tube type cooler -
1. Less expensive as compared to Plate type coolers
2. Can be used in systems with higher operating temperatures and pressures
3. Pressure drop across a tube cooler is less
4. Tube leaks are easily located and plugged since pressure test is comparatively easy
5. Tubular coolers in refrigeration system can act as receiver also.
6. Using sacrificial anodes protects the whole cooling system against corrosion
7. Tube coolers may be preferred for lubricating oil cooling because of the less pressure differential
Disadvantages of tube type cooler -
1. Heat transfer efficiency is less compared to plate type cooler.
2. Cleaning and maintenance is difficult because cleaning surface isn’t visible.
3. Capacity of tube cooler cannot be increased.
4. Requires more space in comparison to plate coolers.