This test is carried out on new boiler or new safety valve to ensure safety valve can release steam fast enough to prevent the pressure rising by 10%. It is a requirement of the classification society.
▪ Shut off feed water
▪ Close main steam stop valve
▪ Arrange the boiler fire rate to maximum
▪ Safety valve will be lifting during test
▪ Accumulation pressure must not exceed 10 % of working pressure
▪ The test is carried out as long as the water permits in the boiler
▪ Duration of the test is 15 min for a cylindrical boiler and 7 minutes for the water tube boiler