1. Required to protect owners against the possibility of US lawsuits.
2. Under the US law the ship owner can’t claim the contribution to General Average from the cargo owners, when the damage is caused due to fault of Master and crew.
3. However, a clause was added into B/L’s which gave owners the right to claim General Average from the cargo owners.
4. However, validity of this clause was tested in US court and it was found to be valid.
5. This clause was called Jason clause. When salvage was also included into it, it was called the New Jason Clause.
6. This clause is recommended to be inserted in all B/L’s for ships trading in the USA.