Prior carrying out work aloft -
1. Detailed Risk Assessment shall be carried out
2. Tool Box talk shall be done and equipments shall be inspected and work plan discussed
3. Proper guard against falling – a stage or ladder shall always be used
4. Personnel under 18 years of age and less than 12 months of experience shall not work aloft
5. Persons working aloft (above 2 meters) should wear a safety harness with lifeline
6. Rig a safety net where appropriate
7. Buoyancy garments (life vest) to be worn and lifebuoy to be kept ready
8. A person should always be observing him on the deck
9. If all above is OK, Work aloft permit shall be completed and signed by the responsible person
10. Other than a emergency situation, personnel should not work aloft when the ship is underway.
11. When work is near the whistle – ensure power is off and warning signs have been posted.
12. When working near the funnel – duty engineer to ensure reduction in steam, gases and fumes emission.
13. Similarly, when working near Radio aerials – no radio transmission to be carried out and when near radar mast no radar operation to be done.
14. Suitable warning signs and notices to be displayed
15. Tools shall be lowered and sent up by lines in suitable containers properly secured.